
When I was about 9 years old, they showed a series of Ealing Studios movies on TV. Especially after the Man in the White Suit (1951) I was in love. With Alec Guinness. Yes, the guy in Star Wars, but remember I haven't watched Star Wars. Anyways for few months I cried myself to sleep for being born too late (again).
One of my friend knew about this crush when I lent her the Ladykillers (1955). After watching the movie she gave it back to me and laughed cruelly. Well, maybe I can't blame her.

Would you go out with this man?
Anyway, I told her to download the Man In The White Suit. After that she was ready to found a fan club with me. Instead we named our magazine sirALEC and left the fan club for some other loonies. I'm still planning on naming one of my boys Sidney after the character Guinness played in the movie. But don't tell Dan. He's already suspecting something after I put Fitzwilliam on the table.
Make-up can do a lot, but just Alec Guinness can go even further. Maybe his performance as Lady Agatha in Kind Hearts and Coronets wasn't as femininely convincing as Buster Keaton's in the Play House (1921) but he is truly a man of million faces. His face is rather plain looking so it is easily "transformed".

What a freak of nature. Gotta love him.
The extend of this skill is seen in Kind Hearts and Coronets where Guinness plays eight different roles and gets murdered with English calmness and black humour in seven of them. Luckily one of them suffers a natural death.
It's got it all! Textile factories! Chemistry! Working class accents! Old man in fur! Laundry lady! ...Romance!
I must say the scene in the end is pretty impressing. If you've seen the movie you know what scene I'm talking about.
1 kommentti:
This guy is great at looking different! That is really cool. And I fully support your choice of "Fitzwilliam" for a son... sorry Dan
Lähetä kommentti